Twenty Tips for Word
Microsoft Word is one of the text editors more used in the world. It is a tool full of features and functionality,which makes it suitable to the preparation of the most diverse types of documents. In this article, you will learn 20 tips that will help you to take better advantage of the Word. These tricks were based and tested on 2003 and 2007 versions of Word in Portuguese Brazil.
You can check out tips for Word 2010 here.
The following are the tips.
1 – All in upper case or lower case quickly:
If you need to leave a word, a sentence or even a paragraph in all capital letters, do not need to type everything again. Just select the word, phrase, or paragraph, and press the keys Shift and F3 at the same time. If you want the text to come back with lowercase letters, press Shift and F3 again. If you repeat this procedure for the third time, only the first letter of the word or phrase will be capitalized.
2 – try to Avoid words split up at the end of the line
Many times you are working on a document and realize that a certain set of words would be better if you were in the same line. For example, assume that you need to keep the name Ayrton Senna always together. To do this, type the word Ayrton, press at the same time the keys Ctrl, Shift and Space and, finally, type Senna. Notice now that Ayrton Senna will be always together, as if it were one word. If this name does not fit the whole at the end of the line, both words will to the next line.
3 – Generate quickly a text for testing
You need to do testing, formatting, printing or any other that requires a text? Then make the Word create this text automatically. To do this, open the program, type the statement below, and then press Enter:
Where x indicates the number of paragraphs in the text must have, and y indicates the amount of sentences in each paragraph. For example, if you want a text with 2 paragraphs and 4 sentences in each one, just type =rand(2,4). In the 2003 version of Word in Brazilian Portuguese, the phrase used is “The light brown fox attacks the lazy dog”. In turn, the 2007 version of the program applies the texts available in their help files.
4 – Increase or decrease the font size quickly
If you need to increase or decrease the font size of a word or a phrase, you do not need to access the formatting features for this. Just select the word or phrase you want and press, at the same time, the buttons:
Ctrl and ] to increase the font size
Ctrl and [ to decrease the font
5 – Learn the amount of words and letters in your text
If, for some reason, you need to know the amount of words or letters that your text has, just do the following:
– In Word 2003, go to the menu Tools and click on the option to Count words;
– In Word 2007, click on the tab Review and then on the button to Count the words.
Note that, with this procedure, Word will display a window that informs you of the amount of pages, the amount of characters (with and without space), the amount of paragraphs and the amount lines. If you need only the information a snippet of the text to be displayed, simply select it and repeat the procedure. To do this, the feature Count words will only show the data of the chunk selected.
6 – Use the suggestions of the synonyms of the Word
You are working on a text and you notice that a particular the word was already used in that sentence or does not fit in the context. If you do not remember of any other word you can replace it, try using the suggestions given by his own Word. To do this, click with the right button click on the word you want to replace and in the menu that appears, choose a word that appears in the option Synonyms.
7 – Insert symbols and special characters
You need to insert the currency symbol euro in your text? Or, still, an arrow, the sign of the inequality, the symbol of copyright, Greek characters, among others? In a Word this is easy:
– In the 2003 version of the program, go to the menu Insert, choose the option Symbol and, in the box that appears, select the symbol or character you want. Click on the Subset to choose from the category of the desired character;
– In Word 2007, go to the tab Insert, locate and click on the button Symbol. When you do this, Word will show a small list with the characters the most common. To access the box that displays all the characters, click in More symbols.
In both cases, after selecting the desired character, click on the button Insert.
8 – Printing: reduce to fit
You want to print a text, but realize that the last page contains only a few lines. Besides being a waste, deliver a printed document with the last page almost the entire blank can be dowdy. When dealing with an issue such as this, make use of the feature Shrink to fit Word:
– In Word 2003, go to File and click in print Preview. On the screen of preview of the file, click on the button to Reduce to fit. Note that the small text that was in the last page went to the previous page;
– In Word 2007, click on the button Office (the round button in the upper left corner of the program), go the option to Print and choose Print preview. In the screen that appears, browse to and click the button to Reduce a page.
9 – Recover damaged files
Who is never faced with a Word file that is corrupted to the point of not open properly or even open? If this happens with you, know that there is a way to try to recover the file. To do this, open the Word empty, that is, without any file open it. Then, go to the menu File and click Open (in version 2007, menu, Office, option to Open). In the window that appears, browse to the damaged file and select-o. In then click on the small arrow next to the button Open and select the option To open and repair.
This procedure is sufficient to recover a damaged file, but it is important to remember that it doesn’t always work.
10 – Use grids to position objects
If you need to position images or other items with precision in the pages of a document, perhaps the feature of the grids will help you in this task. To display the grids in Word 2007, simply go to the tab View and click on the option Lines of the Grid.
In Word 2003, this procedure is a bit more laborious: in first, it is necessary that the menu Design is being displayed (usually it is positioned in the lower part of the Word). If this menu is not showing, click the button right click in any point of the upper menus, and select the option Drawing. If you prefer, go to the menu View, choose Toolbars and finally, click in the Drawing. When this menu is appearing, click on the button Draw and browse to the item Grid. In the box that appears, click on the item to Display lines grid on the screen , and then click OK.
Note that Word will show a grid that helps you position items in the text. For the grid vanish, just reverse the procedure.
11 – Repeat the last action with a button
Assume that you have changed the color and the font size of a paragraph. If then you want to apply this same formatting in another passage of the text, simply select it and press the key F4. This procedure causes Word to repeat the last action performed, so it works with other resources in addition to of the formatting.
12 – Paste text without formatting
You found an interesting text on the Internet, but when you paste it in your Word document, noted that he came with tables, figures, and formatting that clutter up the work. To prevent this from happening, copy the text and:
– In Word 2003, go to the menu Edit, choose Paste Special and select the option The text is not formatted;
– In Word 2007, go to the tab Start, click on the button to Paste, select the item Paste Special and select Text not formatted.
Performing this procedure, the text will be inserted in the Word “pure”, this is, without formatting or other elements that may disrupt the layout of the document.
13 – Add watermarks quickly
It is often necessary to insert a watermark in the document with words such as “draft”, “confidential”, “draft”, “example”, among others. In a Word, this it is easy to:
– In Word 2007, go to the tab Layout Page and click on the button Mark Water. To do this, the program will show various watermarks pre-ready. Just select the one you want, and it will appear in all pages of your document. If want to change the word, change its position or, even, insert an image, simply click on the button Watermark and, then, choose Customize Watermark;
– In the 2003 version of Word, simply go to the menu Format, choose the background and, finally, click the button printed watermark. Note that, in the box that appears, you can choose a word to serve the brand, change its formatting, and its position (horizontal or diagonal) or select an image.
14 – the Date or time automatically updated
Suppose you have a template letter that you send to each new the client of your company. The problem is that, in this document, you always need to insert the current date. But, and if you forget to update this information? To avoid such situations like this, use the automatic update option date and time of the Word. To do this:
– In Word 2007, go to the tab Insert and click on the button Date and time. In the window that appears, choose the format of the date or time desired, as well as the language. Finally, check the box Update automatically (if this box is not checked, the Word simply inserts the current date, but not the update), and then click OK;
– In Word 2003, click on the menu Insert and choose the Date and time. Choose the format date desired, change the language, if necessary, and select Update automatically. Finally, click OK.
15 – Remove the formatting of the text
Need to remove the formatting from a snippet of your text? It is easy to use: select the snippet and press the keys Ctrl and Space at the same time. If you want to remove the formatting of the whole document, press the buttons Ctrl and T at the same time, and repeat the previous procedure.
16 – Set another font as the default
If you are accustomed to using a different source from the Word applies as the default when a file is created, do the default font is another. To do this:
– In Word 2003, click Format and choose Source. In the window that opens, select the source desired, click on the button Default and then click OK;
– In Word 2007, go to the tab Start and click on the symbol located at the bottom right of the box Source. In the box that appears, choose the source that you want, click Default , and, by end, Ok.
17 – to Print more than one page per sheet
I knew that it is possible to print more than one page per sheet in Word? To do this, go to the menu Office, choose Imprmir and then Print (in Word 2003, go to the menu File and click Print). In the print that open, go to the division Zoom and choose how many pages per sheet you want to print.
18 – Spend a paragraph up or down quickly
You are organizing a document and discover that you need move one paragraph up. The way is to cut and paste, not? In fact, there’s an easier way: select the paragraph or the piece of text you want and press at the same time the keys Shift, Alt and up arrow. If the paragraph needs to be moved down, just repeat the procedure, however using the key arrow down on the keyboard. This feature also works to move rows in tables.
19 – Check the advanced text
When a text is selected in Word, this process is made from the left to the right, “catching” each line of the tip the tip. But, and if you want to select an excerpt from the center of the screen until the end, to the right (see image below)? Doing this is easy: hold down the key Alt on your keyboard and click on the origin point of the selection. In then move the mouse in the direction of the selection to be made.
Note in the image above that only the right half of the text was selected. To do this in your text, you can press the buttons Ctrl and C at the same time to copy the content. See that only the section selected will be copied:
20 – Open Word 2007 files in Word 2003
Word 2007 opens without difficulty files of the editions 2003 and earlier, but the opposite does not happen – the Word 2003 cannot open Word 2007 files (whose extension is .docx). To resolve this problem, simply install a converter is offered free of charge by Microsoft. Once installed, the own Word 2003 will convert the file to a format that the program can read.